Linear Regression Analysis for Aquatic Scientists 2-day workshop presented by the Canadian Rivers Institute
Monday 20 February 2017 - - Tuesday 21 February 2017
Course OverviewThis two-day workshop will provide a detailed overview of the use of linear regression for prediction and hypothesis testing in biology, including strategies for incorporating multiple explanatory variables and comparing regressions. The workshop will cover the distinction between correlation and regression, and will delve into the mechanics of simple and multiple linear regression, model selection for multiple regression, the use of polynomial regression, and comparison of regressions using ANCOVA.
The workshop will include a combination of lecture material, discussion, and hands-on training in the completion of these analyses through an R tutorial. Participants should have basic knowledge of statistics or should have taken the Basic Statistic workshop. Participants should also come to this workshop with a basic familiarity with the use of R and RStudio (including how to load and visualize data and how to load packages).
Learning ObjectivesAt the end of this interactive 2-day workshop, participants will:
- Understand the concept of linear regression for prediction and hypothesis testing
- Be able to apply strategies for incorporating multiple variables into a model to predict values of a dependent variable
- Understand how to select a model from a number of different options
- Recognize when polynomial models are needed and understand how to apply these models to the data
- Be familiar with the use of ANCOVA to compare linear and polynomial regressions, and understand how to test the effect of additional environmental drivers on regression slopes
University of New Brunswick
3 Bailey Drive
3 Bailey Drive
Contact Sarah Tuziak, firstname.lastname@example.org